adventures in DIY music

Monday, 26 November 2012

Bill Riner on 4ZZZ FM, 1980

The smooth authoritative voice of Bill Riner introduced my post-punk-music-hungry teenage ears to innumerable sonic delights. He helped establish 4ZZZ in the late seventies as a cultural beacon in the bleak Bjelke-dominated Brisvegas landscape.
For some great stories from this period, check out "Pig City" by Andrew Stafford (UQ Press)
Bill Riner: "I had some skills that I thought I could help people with, so in the lead up to the station going on air, I did some production workshops, told people how to splice (tape), and odds and ends, how to get by with only a little bit of equipment... I had a burning desire to work in FM radio. Sonically, it was an amazing challenge. I was into sound as art and making radio as art..."

Flash player

Mobile player

No comments:

Post a Comment